Do you feel like you are locked in a Jailhouse which serves mediocre fried chicken?
Rocking between one mediocre restaurant and another?
Does the quality of the fried chicken always leaves you feeling like you are in the Heartbreak Hotel?
Is great fried chicken Always on Your Mind?
Do you turn into a Hound Dog at its mere mention? Do you really Love Yourself Some Tender Chicken?
Well, Don’t Be Cruel to yourself and allow us to help with an amazing fried chicken recipe which which you Can’t Help Falling in Love with.
As far as people whose opinions we would trust about fried chicken go, few rate higher than Elvis Presley. He was, after all, the food connoisseur and a downright scientist who made the peanut butter, banana, and bacon sandwich a thing.
So imagine our delight at digging up the recipe for the King’s favourite fried chicken out of the archives of the Waldorf Astoria coworker who had once been Elvis’s cook.
Now, the serving size made by the cook was always immense, as Elvis Presley’s entire entourage also gorged on this fabulous fried chicken.
Do not worry yourself though, using the measurement converters and Google’s very own calculator, we’ve reproduced the classic recipe for those of you who are more likely to be frying A Big Hunk O’ Love Chicken, rather than 30.
Elvis Presley’s Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- 3/4 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp dry mustard
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp celery seed
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp coriander
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 400 mL buttermilk
- 1 Glorious Licious Whole Chicken with Skin, divided into 500 – 800 grams sections
Method of Preparation:
- Mix these amounts of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, then whisk in the buttermilk until it’s thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the batter over the chicken and marinate for something between 24 – 72 hours – keep refrigerated, of course.
Now, take thrice the amount of the above dry ingredients, mix well , and add:
- 30 grams cornstarch
- 250 grams allpurpose organic whole wheat flour
- Dredge the marinated chicken pieces in the dry herbs/flour/cornstarch mixture mix.
- Fry the dredged chicken in a large skillet with hot peanut oil @ 375 degrees. Once the chicken has reached a golden brown colour, finish cooking it in the oven.
Recipe Courtesy: Charlie Ayers
Well, there you have it, Fried Chicken A La King. Time for us to stop talking and leave you to it.
A Little Less Conversation, A Little More Action Please!